Friday, January 8, 2010

I brewed my first batch today

I brewed my first batch today – a Brown Ale – ala Newcastle. It was pretty easy and I will be brewing a batch of something different in a few weeks.


My Newcastle clone is sitting in the primary fermenter, with an OG of 1.048. I followed the recipe with the exception of one thing. This particular recipe requires that you steep the specialty grains at 155F for 25 minutes, drain the grain, then throw it away. I chose to do a grain rinse with 170F water prior to boiling the wort. We’ll see how it works out.

The fermentation should accelerate over the next 24 hours, and I hope that it’ll be complete in a little over a week. At that point I’ll rack the beer to a secondary fermenter(carboy) for settling and clarification prior to bottling.

I should be able to begin clarification phase between Jan 15 and 17, 2010.

Wish me luck!

Jarrod

No comments:

Post a Comment