Friday, January 29, 2010

Racked the Dead Guy - Brewed an Irish Stout

I racked the Dead Guy Clone to the Secondary today. It looks and smells exactly like the Rogue's version - I hope the taste is spot on too. Aside from the bits of trub that still haven't settled, the color is slightly murky - just like Rogue. Gravity at racking is 1.013, placing my current ABV at 6.3%. - and there is still a bit of activity in the airlock. I'm guessing that it'll end up at around 6.5%. I also saved about 1 cup of the pacman trub/lees from the bottom of the primary for the next batch. According to my local brew shop, the second and third pitching of this culture will give even better results than the first batch.
I also tasted the Newcastle Clone today. It tasted pretty close to the real thing, although it still needs a bit more carbonation. I moved it inside in the hall closet - it is about 70 degrees in that room, so the process should accelerate. I plan to have a few for the Super bowl next weekend.

When I was done with all of that stuff, I brewed an Irish Stout. One of my brewing friends uses the same extract kit with great results. True Brew is the brand, and it could not have been easier. It was a little different from my other recipes so far, in that the boil was only 30 minutes long. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment