Friday, January 1, 2010

My First Extra Kit - I went with a Southern Brown Ale Kit

After taking a closer look at my brewing equipment, I realized that some of my equipment had degraded slightly while sitting in the attic. I decided that it would be best to order a few pieces of replacement equipment, prior to getting started. I included the order in with my first extract kit.

The extract kit that I chose was a Newcastle Brown Ale clone kit. It contained everything that I needed to get started with my first batch of beer. I also ordered racking equipment, and bottling supplies, along with an additional 7-gallon plastic fermenter, which will double as a bottling bucket. I also bought a few ounces of Irish Moss and a set of 22 oz brown/amber bottles to get me started.

Irish moss is a species of red algae that grows along the rocky parts of the Atlantic coast of Europe and North America. It is major source of carrageenan, used as a thickener and stabilizer in processed foods like ice cream and processed meats. Irish Moss is also used in home brewing as a clarifier. It acts as a coagulant to pull proteins and small particles out of solution to clarify the beer.

I’ve also begun cleaning the brown beer bottles that I’ve saved, and in just a few short weeks, I will bottle about 5 gallons of Brown Ale.

More to come!

Jarrod

5 comments:

  1. I just finished up an English Nut Brown ale (Newcastle clone) and bottled a few weeks ago. It came out a little flat with too much caramel flavor at the end. I think my mistake was fermenting in the basement (around 50 degrees) when the recommended temperature is 65 ... didn't even see fermentation until I brought it upstairs to warmer temperatures 2 days later.

    Better luck on your batch.

    -Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get your kit? Or did you use a recipe? How did you find my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got the kit from a local shop in town (Cincinnati). I think this is the last kit, we're getting pretty confident with the process. Yesterday we tried a recipe that was almost all-grain (we used a little malt extract) for an IPA. First attempt away from the kits, so fingers crossed.

    Found your blog through a Google Alert I set for "home brewing blog". I am setting up a blog for our own brewing adventures and wanted to see what other folks were doing. Our site is still taking shape, and not exactly public yet, but on it's way (www.DrinkHomeBrew.com).

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. You should set yourself up as a follower. When your blog is up and running, I'll do the same for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the clarity and smell of your Brown Ale was promising at bottling. Fingers crossed.

    We just tried our Brown Ale with mixed results. Low APV since the yeast didn't have a chance to do its thing in the cold temperatures, which also contributed I think to an increased caramel flavor at the end (off-flavor esters I've read can result from unusual yeast activity). Live and learn. Posted some pictures on the site - http://www.drinkhomebrew.com/english-brown-ale/.

    The in-laws are from Indy so I'll be cheering against your Saints in a few weeks. Though I'm glad Drew Brees has got a superbowl game. We used to watch him at Purdue games.

    -Brett

    ReplyDelete